Wednesday, July 18, 2012

breviary, a revolution from the heart?

I have to return the book today for others to also learn from. So let me share one of my favorite parts from the book REVOLUTION from the HEART:

I used to slip away each day from the babble of our cell to say my breviary in the prison yard. The other prisoners gradually learned to leave me alone for those minutes. As I read the Psalms, they took on a meaning they never had before. I had always seen them as hyperbole, poetic exaggeration, a little unsuited to our age, maybe any age. All this about being falsely accused, pursued by enemies, ensnared, hungry, sick, abandoned and forgotten. But now as I read them and looked around me I could see that they were literally true, word for word, and syllable for syllable:
Reach down from heaven and save me
Draw me out from the mighty waters
From the hands of foes
Whose mouths are filled with lies
Whose hands are raised in perjury.
So many of the prisoners waiting for me to finish could have written these very words. It was as if I were praying them now for the first time since I had come to the Philippines, twenty years before.

~ Fr Niall O'Brien, Revolution from the Heart, pp. 3-4 ~ 


I can almost imagine the looks in his eyes, begging, pitiful and hungry for justice; as is the situation of Negros at that time...I love praying the breviary though I couldn't pray so everyday. And I am truly struck by Fr Niall's testimony, for many times I found myself speaking in the lines of the psalms and readings. When one is disposed to it, the grace will work on. Even the unsaid prayers of the heart will find its way to the very heart of God...


No comments:

Post a Comment