Saturday, June 27, 2009

on Latin Songs

When Latin songs are sung on special occasions, (e.g. Veneration, Benediction) I don't know exactly the feeling that is created in me. I am just left in awe and appreciation to the rite that becomes more solemn. I would even feel that I become holy and blessed to take part in such occasion.

I cannot even comprehend the lyrics, but I believe it's the faith and the spirit that brings the community into that great celebration that is God's. It's not really a matter of knowing every detail, of understanding the entirety of the Mass, but rather allowing ourselves to be humble and be submissive at times to the Divine inspiration. It's remembering the thought that we don't just rationalize what is written in the Bible but allowing ourselves to be open to what God would want us to learn as we transcend on His words.

Another, there are songs that are best sung in Latin. For example, Tantum Ergo, it has an English translation but the choice of words used in Latin is so beautiful and the essence is kinda different when sung in English. Salve Regina is my motivation in attending an early Saturday Mass. I knew then that I love it since the first time I heard it, though it was just lately that I learned its exact English translation.

For me it would be a great pleasure to know certain Latin songs. It'll give me an advantage that in case I will be attending a Latin Mass especially in the Vatican, I would know even just a single song.hehe

But if a Cathedral schedules a regular Latin Mass (from beginning til end) at the most convenient time of most of the parishioners, that would be another thing.

God bless us all!
(",)

'Love is embracing all and loving especially the unlovables.'

**This is a commentary i made to a discussion forum posted in Misyononline . You can also view here the different views on the issue being raised.

No comments:

Post a Comment